Re: Techdocs v2

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Techdocs v2
Date: 2004-06-03 23:44:01
Lists: pgsql-www
Dave, Robert:

> IIRC that is the wiki site that Justin started but later abandoned due
> to software issues and then "retirement", so no one is working on that
> v2.

V2 was based on Zope/Plone, which we discovered to have abysmal performance on
the postgresql.org BSD VM.   Certainly it wouldn't be able to sustain the
thousands of people a day that buzz through Techdocs (or used to, anyway).

>Josh was leading some folks on a bricolage version of the site but
> I believe that sputtered out due to lack of time to actually get
> everything working under bric.

Yeah.  The holdup is the templating, which requires a knowledge of Mason.
Unforntunately, I've been unable to locate anyone who knows Mason and has any
free time at all.

> I have been investigating some wikis myself for a new version of
> techdocs, and I think I could settle on twiki, or at least if Marc wants
> to install it (it should be in ports) I'd be willing to put some content
> up.

A wiki would be fine in general.  I like what we have up for "guides".

One request, though:  I'd like it to be possible to flag some pages as
"modifiable only by owner".   The issue is that sometimes I will want to put
content on Techdocs that has special copyright restrictions (such as magazine
article reprints).   This would mean preventing most users from modifying
that page.   I know that others have similar content up.

That's the main issue that prevented me from being gung-ho about a wiki for
techdocs earlier.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions