Re: PostgreSQL certifications?

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: postgresql advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL certifications?
Date: 2004-06-03 15:20:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
* Evan Rempel <erempel(at)UVic(dot)CA> wrote:

<snip>
> One of the criteria was "Can our DBA team get formal
> training/certification to support the selected product in our
> environment?"
Why such criteria ?
What do you hope to get from such an "certification" ?
If I look at the MSCE stuff, I dont know if is meant as a april joke
or not. Other "certifications" the same. Most of them I can't really
take serious.

So if you dont have a in-deep look at the certification criteria, then
I cannot circumvent calling this decision just stupid. (of course those
decisions are quite normal, as well as "database engineers" in big
companies, who didnt understand the concept of indices!)

<snip>
> and without the job oportunity, the PostgreSQL community never create
> training/certification. This is an endless circle.
No, training and certification are (IMHO) some different pair of shoes.
An good training probably should end up in some kind of certificate,
but many many "certificates" out there are just to produce income
for some companies and dont have much to do with real practise.

I'm really for a postgresql training program with some strict and
publically available rules. Maybe many things can be done also as
an opensource project. The major training guidlines certification
criteria *must* be opensource of course.

If there're some more folks here willing to work on that, I'd suggest
setting up an own maillist for that :)

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact(at)metux(dot)de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481