Re: Comparing databases

From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt(at)metux(dot)de>
To: postgresql advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comparing databases
Date: 2004-06-03 13:53:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
* Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

<snip>
> This fall, the PHP project announced that PHP5 will not ship with any MySQL
> libraries or with default MySQL support, but will instead include SQLite and
> ship with support for that library enabled.    Fully 50% of the attendees at
> PHPCon came to talk to us at the PostgreSQL booth ....
Did mysql ab respond to this in any way ?

<snip>
> Well, our license, the BSD license, says "do anything you want, just include
> the license and don't sue us."
May I also include the postmaster into my own (propretriaty) product,
i.e. bundleded or built in ?

Well, then it probably *would* be interesting to have a win32 port.
I had a similar case, when I planned to write an GUI admin tool for our
webshop application service. But probably for this case SQLite probably
does a better job.

<snip>
> > How do you know that MS SQL Server is a money loser?
>
> Microsoft's 2002 SEC filing.   In fact, all of their software products lose
> money except Windows and Office.  They keep SQL Server alive becuase it's
> part of their "vertical business" domination scheme.
Do you have any URL for that ?
Would be a good marketing material for migrating away from M$-SQL
(for those where prices up to 22kE are not enought ;-))

BTW: does anyone here have already migrated some larger commercial
application from mssql to pgsql ?
We've got some customers which use sage khk and so need mssql and w2k3.
Sage does not have any intention even to thing about supporting anything
else than mssql :(

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact(at)metux(dot)de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481