Re: Hot backup

From: "Krishna R Palati" <krishna(at)hedgehoghosting(dot)com>
To: "'Bruno Wolff III'" <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot backup
Date: 2004-06-01 14:55:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Pg_dump might provide consistent dump at that point of
time. But my question is:

We can setup pg_dump everyday at 3AM. Suppose a crash occurs at 10PM. Is
there a way in Postgres for us to use the dump file from 3AM and the
transaction logs since then so that we can do a point in time recovery (to
recover everything till 10PM) ?

With pg_dump as I understand, we can recover only from the dump made at 3AM.
So we will be losing every transaction on the db which is done between
pg_dumps.

Thanks again for your time.
-Krishna.