Re: Moving pg_autovacuum from contrib to src/bin

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Moving pg_autovacuum from contrib to src/bin
Date: 2004-05-29 06:45:03
Lists: pgsql-patches
Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> The only reason I put it in src/bin is because I thought people
> wanted pg_autovacuum to still be a runable stand alone app.

I see no reason for that.  If it's integrated as a postmaster child,
then it is run in a daemon-like mode automatically.

> But, I
> guess there is nothing preventing it from being a runable stand alone
> app located in src/backend/postmaster.

Yes, there are a lot of things.  You didn't understand what Tom was
saying.  We were expecting the autovacuum daemon to be integrated as a
postmaster child, not a separate program.