Re: Win32, PITR, nested transactions, tablespaces

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32, PITR, nested transactions, tablespaces
Date: 2004-05-28 21:17:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Fri, 28 May 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> >> I intend to be done with fsync by Monday, but I won't have any time to
> >> review these other patches until after that. So pushing feature freeze
> >> back a week sounds like a good idea to me too. We need enough time to
> >> make unhasty decisions about whether each of these features is ready
> >> enough to go into 7.5 (or whatever we call it).
> >
> > Agreed, but I am concerned we are entering a period like we did with 7.3
> > where we delay things a week at a time rather than in one-month chunks.
>
> The *only* thing we are pushing back the beta for is so that the Win32
> stuff can be completed ...
>
> There is no reason why those working on the other features should be
> slowing down as a result that they think they might not make it, since
> even if they don't make it, it would be *really* nice to see the features
> added at the start of the next dev cycle ...

Reality check --- why should they keep going if the stuff if appication
is going to be months away, and these big features are going to change
CVS significanly anyway?

Let's be honest --- if they aren't going to make it, they will stop
working hard and do something else with their time.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us