Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested xacts: looking for testers and review
Date: 2004-05-28 15:01:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:51:07PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> 2) certain behavior was different from what I expected (please correct me
>    if my expectation is wrong).

Yes, the expected behavior is different: if an aborted subtransaction is
closed with a COMMIT or END command, the parent transaction is aborted
too.  This is to inhibit an application which blindly expects the
subtransaction to succeed to reach an invalid state.  If you want to
return to non-aborted state, end the subtransaction with ROLLBACK
instead.

But Bob Henkel and you are right: there needo to be documentation.
Initially I figured I could do that later because there is no new
syntax, but it is obviously needed to explain all sorts of assumptions
and behavior like this.

"Limítate a mirar... y algun día veras"