Re: have you seen this?

From: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: have you seen this?
Date: 2004-05-28 20:23:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thursday 27 May 2004 11:36 pm, Alexey Borzov wrote:

> And that is the problem with PostgreSQL advocacy effort: they explain why
> their product is *good*, while everyone else explains why their product
> is *better*.
>
> See my point?

Compare the following two messages:

"MySQL is horrible. Use PostgreSQL."

versus:

"PostgreSQL is excellent. Use PostgreSQL."

In the end, that is what the PHBs (and PHP users and everyone else...) will
read and remember. Let's choose our message wisely.

I enjoy PostgreSQL half because it is superior and half because Tom Lane and
Josh Berkus and everyone else who is a contributor are just plain old nice
guys. Our community is built on friendly relationships within and without -
including the MySQL, Microsoft, and Oracle communities. Our community
includes rather than excludes. Our community encourages rather than
discourages. Our community compliments rather than criticizes. Let's keep
it that way.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner(at)jonathangardner(dot)net