Re: .cvsignore update...

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .cvsignore update...
Date: 2004-05-27 05:26:05
Lists: pgsql-patches
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > If you like to live dangerously and not make distclean before you
> > cvs update, then use a vpath build (separate build tree).  There's
> > no reason to have to maintain a large set of .cvsignore files.
>
> How does one do a vpatch build?  (I live dangerously)

cd /else/where
mkdir pgbuild (or whatever)
cd pgbuild
../../../where/ever/pgsql/configure
make
make install

This basically separates the built files from the source files.  So when
you do a CVS update and you forgot to clean beforehand, then you can
just delete the directory.

Then again, the really recommended way to "live dangerously" is to use
--enable-depend.  This should always be safe except when there are
major reorganizations in the source tree.  (Some people don't trust
this, but I do.)