Re: Relocatable locale

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Relocatable locale
Date: 2004-05-26 18:59:51
Lists: pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have two questions. First, setlocale() seemed to be inconsistently
> > set inside and outside of ENABLE_NLS. I assume the proper location
> > is inside.
>
> No, in case of doubt it's outside.

OK, moved. New code is:

void
set_pglocale(const char *argv0, const char *app)
{
#ifdef ENABLE_NLS
char path[MAXPGPATH];
char my_exec_path[MAXPGPATH];
#endif

/* don't set LC_ALL in the backend */
if (strcmp(app, "postgres") != 0)
setlocale(LC_ALL, "");

#ifdef ENABLE_NLS
if (find_my_exec(argv0, my_exec_path) < 0)
return;

get_locale_path(my_exec_path, path);
bindtextdomain(app, path);
textdomain(app);
#endif
}

> > Second, libpq has a locale setting for error messages,
> > but a libpq program could be in any directory, so I see no way to
> > make that relocatable. Instead, I just use the hardcoded path. I
> > could make it relocatable, but that seems to error-prone, plus I
> > would have to look up the exec path and stuff, and it seemed too
> > complicated.
>
> Hmm, so this says that a relocatable install isn't in fact possible?

Yep. I don't see how you can have a library know where to look for its
localized messages. The only thing I can think of is an environment
variable to override the hard-coded default. How is that?

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us