Re: getGeneratedKeys method

From: Ceki Gulcu <cekgul(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getGeneratedKeys method
Date: 2004-05-26 16:27:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies received so far. I really
appreciate it.

One important point I failed to mention in my original
mail, was that we are using a prepared statement to
perform the initial batch of inserts via executeBatch,
followed by another prepared statement and invoking
executeBatch and a third prepared
statement+executeBatch.

Your suggestions imply the use of regular statements
as opposed to prepared statements. I don't know
whether the performance boost is due to the use of
prepared statements or whether it's more the
"batching", that is regrouping the SQL statements in
one transaction.

If you are interested you can find the actual code at

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j/db/

DBAppender is the current implementation which works
with PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, DB2 and MsSQL. With
pooled-connections, it takes under 10 milliseconds to
persist a single event. Without pooling, it's 50
millis.

DBAppender2 which uses prepares statements, we can get
the figure to as low as 1 milli. However, although the
performance is much better, the results are incorrect.

It the performance improvement is linked to the use of
prepared statements, then there isn't much I can do.
However, if regular statements would also yield a
performance improvement, I could try the techniques
suggested in previous mails in this thread.

Anyway, thank you for you assistance. It has been very
helpful.

--
Ceki Glc

For log4j documentation consider "The complete
log4j manual"
ISBN: 2970036908
http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/functions-sequence.html.