Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
Date: 2004-05-25 13:54:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 11:19:57PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org (Jeff) transmitted:
> > One area though is fast recovery - Reloading a multi-GB db from a
> > pg_dump is painful, especially if you have foreign keys.  Lots of
> > sort_mem helps.
>
> A very interesting approach on a multi-cpu system would be to restore
> multiple indices concurrently when working on a single table.  The
> locality of reference should allow this to be handled quite
> efficiently, as data blocks pulled in for one index should shortly be
> used for others.

I'm not sure this would give actual additional performance though,
because (btree-) index creation appears to be slowed down by excessive
unnecessary WAL traffic.  I'm sure this can be handled better; Tom Lane
made noises about correcting it, but who knows if it will make 7.5 ...

"La gente vulgar solo piensa en pasar el tiempo;
el que tiene talento, en aprovecharlo"