Missing or errooneous pg_hba.conf file

From: Bill Chandler <billybobc1210(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Missing or errooneous pg_hba.conf file
Date: 2004-05-19 20:28:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Running 7.4.2 on Solaris 8 (binaries were built on
a different Solaris 8 box).

I keep getting the following message when trying to
connect to server:

FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file
HINT: see server log for details.

Server log contains message:

LOG: invalid entry in pg_hba.conf file at line 60,
token ""

The only change I've made was to postgresql.conf to
change "tcpip_socket = true".  I have not modified
pg_hba.conf at all.  Line 60 is the default 'host'
entry for  The token in question is the
IP-MASK field.

I have found that if I change this value to anything
other than "" (e.g. "")
the message goes away.

I get the same message if I add other lines with
IP-MASK= to the pg_hba.conf file.
It just doesn't seem to like '' for
some reason.

I get the error using both the 'psql -h ...' command
and trying to connect via JDBC.

Incidentally, I saw the same problem running in 7.4.1.
I ended up just commenting out line 60 to get around
it.  But now I need IP-MASK= so I
need to get it resolved.  Interestingly the same 7.4.1
binary running on a different machine did not exhibit
the problem.  Could it be a Solaris patch level

thanks in advance,

Do you Yahoo!?

pgsql-admin by date