Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Fedora from RPM

From: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>
To: "Raul Secan" <raul(at)zerosoft(dot)ro>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Fedora from RPM
Date: 2004-05-17 16:00:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thursday 13 May 2004 09:36, Raul Secan wrote:
> I just want to install the latest PostgeSQL database server (7.4.2). I am
> running a Red Hat Fedora Core 1 OS, and I just found a link
> (ftp://ftp10.us.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/binary/v7.4.2/fedora/fedora-c
>ore-1/) where I can download the RPM's, but I don't know which of them I
> need, for the server to run succesfuly.

At minimum, you will need the main package, -lib, and -server. The reason
that they are split like they are is so that minimal clients can be
installed: all that custom clients would need is -lib. Slightly more client
functionality is available with the main package plus -lib (this adds a lot
of documentation and all the man pages), and the minimal server adds -server.
>From there the pieces are a little more obvious, I hope, from the subpackage
name.

> Also I don't know the procedure to install PostgrSQL from RPM.

Download the packages you need, then install them all on a single command line
(or using a graphical client). The command line would be something like 'rpm
-ivh postgresql*.rpm' Installing all on a single command line is the best
way, then rpm can deal with the dependencies properly. If you run across
other dependencies you'll need to install those packages separately (for
instance, the python subpackage requires the 'mx' package from the main OS
install).
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology