Re: Configuring PostgreSQL to minimize impact of checkpoints

From: "Rob Sell" <lists(at)facnd(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Configuring PostgreSQL to minimize impact of checkpoints
Date: 2004-05-11 21:47:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
[mailto:pgsql-performance-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of scott.marlowe
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 2:23 PM
To: Paul Tuckfield
Cc: jao(at)geophile(dot)com; Matthew Nuzum; pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org; Rob
Fielding
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Configuring PostgreSQL to minimize impact of
checkpoints

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Paul Tuckfield wrote:

> If you are having a "write storm" or bursty writes that's burying
> performance, a scsi raid controler with writeback cache will greatly
> improve the situation, but I do believe they run around $1-2k.   If
> it's write specific problem, the cache matters more than the striping,
> except to say that write specfic perf problems should avoid raid5

Actually, a single channel MegaRAID 320-1 (single channel ultra 320) is
only $421 at http://www.siliconmechanics.com/c248/u320-scsi.php  It works
pretty well for me, having 6 months of a production server on one with
zero hickups and very good performance.  They have a dual channel intel
card for only $503, but I'm not at all familiar with that card.

The top of the line megaraid is the 320-4, which is only $1240, which
ain't bad for a four channel RAID controller.

Battery backed cache is an addon, but I think it's only about $80 or so.

If you don't mind slumming on ebay :-) keep an eye out for PERC III cards,
they are dell branded LSI cards. Perc = Power Edge Raid Controller. There
are models on there dual channel u320 and dell usually sells them with
battery backed cache.  That's how I have acquired all my high end raid
cards.

Rob