Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL pre-fork speedup
Date: 2004-05-05 19:36:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 02:12:58PM -0400, Rod Taylor wrote:

> Most of it has been. It's the duty cycle. As stated in another email,
> only about 20% of the work a script does is database related -- which
> occurs all at one time. Even when all Apache backends are active, a
> large number of connections will be idle but were used or will be used
> at some point during the generation of that page.
>
> It really is an Apache fault -- but I don't think it can be fixed within Apache itself.

http://apache.webthing.com/

mod_pg_pool or mod_valet_sql - Apache modules to handle postgresql
connection pools

http://sqlrelay.sourceforge.net/
http://dbbalancer.sourceforge.net/

Database connection pooling software

And, of course, most development environments (perl, php, java etc)
have their own language specific connection pooling solutions.

Cheers,
Steve