Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE TODO items
Date: 2004-05-05 15:30:36
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

* Bruce Momjian (pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us) wrote:
> Do we still want this TODO?
>
> o Allow columns to be reordered using ALTER ... POSITION i col1 [,col2];
> have SELECT * and INSERT honor such ordering
>
> I don't think so. As I remember it was part of doing logical attribute
> numbers as a way to add ALTER COLUMN TYPE, but because we now use table
> recreate to implement this, it is unlikely we will ever add logical
> attribute numbers (adds too much complexity to the code).

Does using table recreate break views built against the table? I recall
someone saying the old way did, it would be very nice if that could be
fixed or at least added to the TODO. I like the idea of being able to
alter the positions of the columns too, but that's not as big of an
issue as breaking views.

Stephen