Re: Prestige users

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce <bruce(at)centerstage(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prestige users
Date: 2004-05-05 15:28:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
We have .org, Fujitsu, and lots of others.  Basically Yahoo and others
use MySQL because they need a simple db for web-based apps, and chose
MySQL when PostgreSQL was not as stable years ago.

If you boss thinks MySQL is better for you, go ahead and use it.  I
think you will be moving to PostgreSQL eventually anyway.

Bruce wrote:
> We've got a raging debate going on now on whether we should move from a
> Foxpro back end to either PostgreSQL or MySQL.
> It's an accounting application and I feel that Postgres would be the better
> choice. Some other people (like my boss) thinks that MySQL would be better
> choice. His reasoning is that MySQL gets more publicity so it must be
> better. He says that since the Sabre airline reservation system and Yahoo
> run with MySQL, they are the best. Period.
> I'm sure Postgres has a couple prestige organizations that use database. If
> I could come up with some big names, I'm pretty sure we could make everyone
> into believers. Unfortunately, the only thing close to a "name" on the
> website is the company BSAF.
> Do you know any other well-known names?
> Thanks in advance.
> Bruce