not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs

From: Theodore Petrosky <tedpet5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: not really SQL but I need info on BLOBs
Date: 2004-05-05 15:10:03
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I am starting a new project where I need to store a
lot of tiff images. So the question beckons... which
is better (not correct)?
store a blob in the database and let the db manage the
data or
store the image in a directory and store the path to
the data in the db.

What are your opinions? Is one method better than the
other or are there simply different trade offs?

If I store the tiff on the computer and only store the
path in the database it would be easier to add more
disk space to the computer without any changes to the
db. Also, there would be 'virtually' unlimited storage
space (only limited by the OS)

However, it looks like it would be easier to create a
connection to the database to access the blobs.

I would love to hear not just what others have done
but why they did it?

Thanks for listening...

BTW, I really like the zeroconf (rendezvous) support
in postgresql.

Ted