Re: Where to submit a bug report?

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Bradley Kieser <brad(at)kieser(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where to submit a bug report?
Date: 2004-05-04 18:19:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 18:50:09 +0000,
  Bradley Kieser <brad(at)kieser(dot)net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is this the correct place to submit a bug report or should I do it
> somewhere else?

Bugs go to pgsql-bugs, how I don't think this is really a bug, but
a "feature".

> BUG DETAILS:
>
> PG version 7.4.2
> Platform: Linux
>
> BUG DESC:
>
> Using aliases in the "select" part of a select clause isn't strongly
> checked against the alias definitions in the FROM part of the SQL.
> Specifically, if the alias in the "select" clause matches another table
> name (not in the FROM list), then the select is applied against that
> other table whereas the correct action would be to chuck and error.
>
> EXAMPLE:
>
> One table: acct_dets
> One view: acct_dets_view created as select * from acct_dets_table where XXXX
>
> Select acct_dets.aaa, acct_dets.bbb from acct_dets_view;
>
> The above select is accepted and processed when it SHOULD throw an error.

Postgres has a feature where tables not listed in FROM clauses get silently
included. There is something that turns this off, but I think it is
only available in the development version. This feature is really only
useful for delete where there isn't a syntax to specify addition tables
and you need to use a subquery instead. A number of people didn't like the
way it works now as that usually when you end up using this feature
it is a mistake in the query rather than intentional use.