Re: Setting up pgsql for ODBC

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Stephan Hochhaus <stephan(at)yauh(dot)de>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Setting up pgsql for ODBC
Date: 2004-05-01 14:49:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
--- Stephan Hochhaus <stephan(at)yauh(dot)de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on a solution to set up
> PostgreSQL on Mac OS X
> Server 10.3.3 and I want to enable ODBC support so
> that our client PCs
> can continue using their MS-Access GUI which they
> are used to. My
> questions:
>
> - Is ODBC included in you average build of
> PostgreSQL or would I have
> to download any add-on packages?

You need to download and install the ODBC driver on
the client pc's.  Get that from here:

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/projdisplay.php

You don't need to do anything on the server.

> - Does anyone have experience with
> Access/PostgreSQL? Is it working
> well? I have my doubts concerning the MS-anomalies I
> have found in
> other areas of work..

Generally Access works well using linked PostgreSQL
tables.  There are some issues with running Access
client/server, and these apply regardless of what
backend database you use.  The "Access Developers
Handbook" has a good coverage of these issues.  There
is also a microsoft newsgroup devoted to Access
client/server.  You will find some useful material on
gborg (the link I provided above); you will also find
useful material by searching the archives of the
pgsql-odbc list.

If you need to migrate Access data to PostgreSQL, I
have had good success using the Database Migration
Wizard that comes with PgAdminII.  Unfortunately this
is now a legacy application, so you will need to
search for it (PgAdminIII apparently does not yet have
this feature).

> Stephan

> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the
> unregister command
majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)