Re: Plpgsql problem passing ROWTYPE to function

From: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Karl O(dot) Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Plpgsql problem passing ROWTYPE to function
Date: 2004-04-30 00:05:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2004.04.29 17:58 Tom Lane wrote:
> "Karl O. Pinc" <kop(at)meme(dot)com> writes:
> > Thought perhaps some other eyes than mine can tell if I'm doing
> > something wrong here or if there's a bug somewhere. I've never
> > passed a ROWTYPE varaible to a function
>
> plpgsql doesn't support that. It might do so for 7.5, if anyone gets
> around to finishing the work I started.

What a drag. The documentation says it supports this. Is this a bug
in the documentation
or something I'm not understanding?

See:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/plpgsql-declarations.html#PLPGSQL-DECLARATION-ROWTYPES

"Parameters to a function can be composite types (complete table
rows). In that case, the corresponding identifier $n will be a row
variable, and fields can be selected from it, for example $1.user_id."

Thanks for the help.

Karl <kop(at)meme(dot)com>
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein