Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-29 19:55:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> No.  We tried that in the past and we ended up extending it in pieces
> several times. The effect was that we delayed feature freeze by a month
> or two, and other features never got developed in that timeframe.  I
> remember SMP fixes for 7.3 as causing that problem.  We didn't do that
> for 7.4 and it was better.

*If* June 1st comes along, and Win32 isn't ready, there is nothing wrong
with freezing the code *except* for a pending Win32 patch ... but, such a
focused extension would depend on how close to being ready that pending
patch is ...

Again, something that cannot be accurately determined until June 1st, and
by even speculating on extending, we are just makign it easier to shrug
and say "not a big rush, we'll most likely extend the freeze anyway" ...

----