Re: Postgre and Web Request

From: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar(at)frodo(dot)hserus(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Postgre and Web Request
Date: 2004-04-29 07:35:56
Lists: pgsql-general
Le jeudi 29 Avril 2004 08:56, Shridhar Daithankar a écrit :
> Hervé Piedvache wrote:
> >>
> >>See above. And actually if you really did have a situation where 10,000
> >>users accessed the site at the exact same time you would need a pretty
> >>large cluster to handle it... regardless of PostgreSQL.
> >
> > Excuse for my stupid question, Joshua, but how do you make a PostgreSQL
> > Cluster ??? I'm really interesting about this solution ...
>
> You seem to misunderstand. In postgresql, a database installation is called
> as cluster. When you initdb, it initializes a database area where more than
> one databases can be created. Since there are more than one databases, such
> an installation is called as database cluster.
>
> It is not like a beowulf cluster..:-)

OK ... but sorry I may misunderstand something more ... but why Joshua is
talking about a large cluster ... ? Why the need of several database for one
application ?
And how can you maintain one application with several database ??
(replication ?, I'm not sure there is a realtime solution of replication with
PostgreSQL able to accep 10000 insert by second ... for the moment !?)

And second point ... to talk about beowulf cluster .... is there any solution
for PostgreSQL ? We here talking many time about MySQL solution for that ...
why PostgreSQL do not have this kind of solution, yet ?

Regards,
--
Hervé