Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-27 16:12:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:58:59PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Tim Conrad wrote:
>
> > 2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
> > When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
> > Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
> > nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions.
>
> Not possible for us, since we have no "upper management" that dictates
> what features get added, for when ...

Not entirely true. I've read enough on the lists to see Bruce or
others saying 'x feature isn't expected until version y.z'. Heck, to
me, something that says 'we're hoping for feature x in version y.z',
but it's not an exact science. See the MySQL releases as an example
:)

> > I know
> > it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
> > replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.
>
> Never, since there is no such thing as a 'full blown replication', since
> there is no *one* way to do replication ...

It was puretly there for example purposes...