Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-27 16:07:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 07:55:08PM +0400, Alexey Borzov wrote:
> Hi!
> Tim Conrad wrote:
> >I was researching an article I wrote about a comparison between
> >Postgres and MySQL recently (If you want, you can read the article
> >at I noticed some clear
> >differences between the website and the Postgres website.
> Sorry, couldn't resist: may I suggest doing the research *before*
> writing an article, not *after*?
> My favourite part of it is:
> --------
> MySQL uses traditional row-level locking. PostgreSQL uses something
> called Multi Version Concurrency Control (MVCC) by default. MVCC is a
> little different from row-level locking in that transactions on the
> database are performed on a snapshot of the data and then serialized.
> New versions of PostgreSQL support standard row-level locking as an
> option, but MVCC is the preferred method.
> --------
Nice that you point out that incorrectly stated something. Even
nicer that you don't tell me what the correct answer would be.
Unfortunanatly, that's the best I could come up with with doing
research with the documentation I could find on the subject. MVCC
does a  lot more than can be easily contained in a sentance.

> >2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
> >   When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
> >   Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
> >   nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions. I know
> >   it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
> >   replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.
> MySQL's roadmap is complete bullshit. Subselects were first promised in
> 4.0, which was "not that far away" [1] back in 1998! Well, they are in
> 4.1, which is still alpha in 2004.

I realize this.  I also realize that having a nicely defined roadmap would
give Postgres a hands up in this category.

> Of course, some gullible people actually believe this and compare [2]
> the existing and working implementations with vaporware (MySQL 5.1,
> anyone?).
> >   On those same lines, there doesn't seem to be anything about the
> >   improvements in the minor versions. It seems that in every
> >   release (i.e. 7.2,7.3,7.4) there are pretty significant changes,
> >   but finding a place that outlines these changes is somewhat
> >   difficult.
> Have you tried looking in the release notes [3]?
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]

I guess I'm an ignorant fool and I don't comprehend many of the
items under the release note. I'm also looking for something I can
hand my boss and say ' this is why we should use postgres instead of