Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tim Conrad <tim(at)timconrad(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-27 15:58:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-hackerspgsql-www
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Tim Conrad wrote:

> 2) There doesn't seem to be a clear roadmap on Postgres features.
>    When certian things are expected. There's the TODO list that
>    Bruce maintains, but it only outlines 'near' fixes. MySQL has a
>    nice listing of what to expect in certian future versions.

Not possible for us, since we have no "upper management" that dictates
what features get added, for when ...

>    I know
>    it's not a perfect list, but it'd be nice to know when full blown
>    replication will be included in PostgreSQL as an example.

Never, since there is no such thing as a 'full blown replication', since
there is no *one* way to do replication ...

>  3) There's the issues of 'advanced database features' in general.
>     Many MySQL applications perform much of their logic in the
>     application level, instead of the database level. They do this
>     because there aren't things like triggers or stored procedures
>     in MySQL. As the saying goes, 'if mohammad won't go to the
>     mountain, bring the mountian to mohammad'. Why not do some
>     simple explainations as to why these things are good, and what
>     they do, and how to use them in real context?

Just a matter of someone writing and submitting it ... how are your
writing skills? :)

>  4) As other peole have noted, there's no windows build readily
>     available for Postgres. There may be, but it's difficult to
>     find. If someone's used to running, say, Oracle, and all they
>     have is a windows machine to test something out on, MySQL has
>     compiled binaries ready to go.

there is no native windows currently available, but its being worked on
for 7.5 ... after which, a pre-compiled binary becomes automatic ...

----