Re: [jforman@tecso.com.br: RES: Database comparison question]

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [jforman@tecso.com.br: RES: Database comparison question]
Date: 2004-04-27 16:01:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Karen,

I've written up some brief answers regarding the list availabel at
http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/OpenSource/Database_Comparisons.doc.html
perhaps you could forward it on?

PostgreSQL

Price:  Free for commercial or non-commercial use.  Extended versions are
available from several vendors as commercial offerings as well.

Relational Database: Yes

Support Views: Yes.  Updatable view support is available using the PostgreSQL
Rules system.

Stored Procedures:  Yes. We have an oracle like implementation in plpgsql and
also have implementations in more than half a dozen additional languages such
as plperl,plpython,pltcl,plphp,pljava, and plr

Foreign Keys: Yes

Job Schedular:  No.  (Due to our mostly *nix oriented install base, we
generally recommend using cron)

Multiple CPU support for Insert/Select,Update,Delete,Index:  No (assuming this
is reffering to multiple CPU used on one query.  We certainly support
multiple CPU's otherwise)

Send messages to DBA based on Alerts:  No.  (Similar to cron this is unix
functionality that we currently do not duplicate)

Data Transformations Services:  Yes.

Transaction Support:  Yes.

Referential Integrity:  Yes.

Clustering:  Commercial solutions are available from 3rd party vendors.

Robert Treat