Re: [jforman@tecso.com.br: RES: Database comparison question]

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [jforman@tecso.com.br: RES: Database comparison question]
Date: 2004-04-27 16:01:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Karen,

I've written up some brief answers regarding the list availabel at
http://www.danlj.org/~danlj/OpenSource/Database_Comparisons.doc.html
perhaps you could forward it on?

PostgreSQL

Price: Free for commercial or non-commercial use. Extended versions are
available from several vendors as commercial offerings as well.

Relational Database: Yes

Support Views: Yes. Updatable view support is available using the PostgreSQL
Rules system.

Stored Procedures: Yes. We have an oracle like implementation in plpgsql and
also have implementations in more than half a dozen additional languages such
as plperl,plpython,pltcl,plphp,pljava, and plr

Foreign Keys: Yes

Job Schedular: No. (Due to our mostly *nix oriented install base, we
generally recommend using cron)

Multiple CPU support for Insert/Select,Update,Delete,Index: No (assuming this
is reffering to multiple CPU used on one query. We certainly support
multiple CPU's otherwise)

Send messages to DBA based on Alerts: No. (Similar to cron this is unix
functionality that we currently do not duplicate)

Data Transformations Services: Yes.

Transaction Support: Yes.

Referential Integrity: Yes.

Clustering: Commercial solutions are available from 3rd party vendors.

Robert Treat