Re: Arbitrary precision modulo operation

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Chadwick Boggs <chadwickboggs(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Arbitrary precision modulo operation
Date: 2004-04-26 17:38:44
Lists: pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 10:18:52 -0400,
  Chadwick Boggs <chadwickboggs(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I need to perform modulo operations on extremely large numbers.  The %
> operator is giving me number out of range errors and the mod(x, y)
> function simply seems to return the wrong results.  Also, my numerator
> is in the format of a quoted string, which the mod function can't take.

I tried some large values and seem to be getting reasonable results.
I did get some negative remainders, but I didn't find anything in the
mod documentation on whether or not these were allowed. For small values
I always got positive remainders so it isn't consistantly return the
remainder closest to zero. My guess is that it has to do rounding when
dividing numerics.