target list evaluation wrt sequences

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Subject: target list evaluation wrt sequences
Date: 2004-04-24 23:03:24
Lists: pgsql-general
I have an insert using a select of sequences.

insert into ...
	select
		nextval('n') as a,
		currval('n') as b,
	from lalala
;

Is the order of the target list guaranteed?
That is, will the a and b in the above selection
*always* be the same?

My experiments show this to be true, but I
would like to know that the evaluation of the
target list is never rearranged so that the
values are always predictable.

Thanks,

elein
elein(at)varlena(dot)com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com

          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

pgsql-general by date