Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 19:27:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 02:35:48PM +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?" I don't know there is
> >anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
> >
> >Questions I have are:
>
> I have already told Bruce at length about the single most common
> complaint in the phpPgAdmin lists and in the IRC channel: the inability
> to change column types. I think we should listen to the punters on that
> one.
>
> Also, how about a new section in the manual: PostgreSQL for MySQL users
> and PostgreSQL for Oracle users?

Maybe also a more generic section about how PGSQL is different from
other databases. Maybe I'm just dense, but it took me a long time to
figure out the whole lack of stored procedures thing (yes, PGSQL
obviously has the functionality, but many experienced DBAs won't
associate functions with stored procs). Pointing out the documentation
on MVCC and how it changes how you want to use the database would be
good, as would links to documentation on what postgresql.conf settings
you want to change out of the box.

On the other topics...
I think the biggest service PGSQL could provide to the open source
community is a resource that teaches people with no database experience
the fundamentals of databases. If people had an understanding of what a
RDBMS should be capable of and how it should be used, they wouldn't pick
MySQL.

Having a windows port is critical for 'student mindshare'. If PGSQL can't
play on windows, professors can't use it. Likewise, installation on OS X
should be made as easy as possible.

That's for the 'low end' users (many of whom will eventually become
'high end'). For professionals who have database expertise, the
comparison guide will help a lot. The other thing that will help is
continuing to bring enterprise-class features in, like multi-master
replication, partitioning, and clustering. But since people tend to
think most about the technology, I'm sure those will make it in
eventually anyway. :)
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Consultant jim(at)nasby(dot)net