Re: Help with performance problems

From: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)sermonaudio(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Help with performance problems
Date: 2004-04-23 17:16:03
Lists: pgsql-performance
I know the numbers look ok, but we are definetly suffering.  Also, if I try to
run any sort of vacuum or other db activity during normal business hours,
load goes through the roof.  I have seen loads of over 10 when trying to
vacuum the larger cluster and would have to kill the vacuums due to
complaints.

I think this is probably related to the hardware configuration, but I want to
make sure that there are no changes I could make configuration wise to the db
that might lighten the problem.

I'm especially want to make sure that I have the memory parameters set to good
numbers for my db's so that I can minimize thrashing between the postgres
memory pools and the hard drive.  I am thinking that this may be a big issue
here?

Thanks for any help,

Chris