Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

From: Michael Chaney <mdchaney(at)michaelchaney(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server
Date: 2004-04-22 14:34:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:40:55PM -0600, Anony Mous wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've got some clients that are concerned about running Postgresql 7.3.4 on
> a Win2k Server box, alongside MS SQL Server. I've been running pg on my XP
> machines for a long time now (with cygwin) and never had any sort of
> problem. The db is fast and stable.
>
> Does anyone have any experience that would give some weight to our client's
> concerns? Would there be any potential conflict between the postmaster and
> MS SQL Server? Your experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

No, but it's irrelevant. Your clients are idiots who think they know
more about computers than you. You have three choices:

1. Use this as an opportunity to introduce them to low-cost,
highly-functional free Unix systems, i.e. Linux or BSD. They'll thank
you later.

2. Have "the talk" with them. I've done this twice in the last 10
years. Sit them down in a meeting, and simply ask "If you know more
about this than me, then it doesn't make sense that you're paying me
$100/hour to tell you stuff, does it? Do you give your attorney legal
advice, too?" Depends on the client, worked fine for me and in both cases the
clients started treating me very differently after that. I cannot imagine
giving my attorney legal advice, I have no idea why people see this
differently.

3. Convince them that it'll be okay. This is the last piece of advice
because it is the worst. Any time anything goes wrong with the machine
your postgres installation will be the culprit. And stuff will go wrong
daily, if you know what I mean.

It's a difficult situation when you have such clients, but use it as an
opportunity to learn more about doing business.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney(at)michaelchaney(dot)com