Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com,Paul Tuckfield <paul(at)tuckfield(dot)com>, Anjan Dave <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>,Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Dirk Lutzeb├Ąck <lutzeb(at)aeccom(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1
Date: 2004-04-22 18:11:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
Tom,

> Having to recompile to run on single- vs dual-processor machines doesn't
> seem like it would fly.

Oh, I don't know.  Many applications require compiling for a target
architecture; SQL Server, for example, won't use a 2nd processor without
re-installation.   I'm not sure about Oracle.

It certainly wasn't too long ago that Linux gurus were esposing re-compiling
the kernel for the machine.

And it's not like they would *have* to re-compile to use PostgreSQL after
adding an additional processor.  Just if they wanted to maximize peformance
benefit.

Also, this is a fairly rare circumstance, I think; to judge by my clients,
once a database server is in production nobody touches the hardware.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions