Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, Paul Tuckfield <paul(at)tuckfield(dot)com>,Anjan Dave <adave(at)vantage(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>,Dirk Lutzeb├Ąck <lutzeb(at)aeccom(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wierd context-switching issue on Xeon patch for 7.4.1
Date: 2004-04-22 17:37:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
Tom,

> The tricky
> part is that a slow adaptation rate means we can't have every backend
> figuring this out for itself --- the right value would have to be
> maintained globally, and I'm not sure how to do that without adding a
> lot of overhead.

This may be a moot point, since you've stated that changing the loop timing
won't solve the problem, but what about making the test part of make?   I
don't think too many systems are going to change processor architectures once
in production, and those that do can be told to re-compile.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions