Re: Updated COPY CSV patch

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updated COPY CSV patch
Date: 2004-04-14 04:30:07
Lists: pgsql-patches
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I don't believe '' should be special, any more than 'fred' should be. As
> it stands now, NULL 'fred' does say that ,, and '"", are empty strings.
>
> >Again, I can assist in making these modifications to the patch.
> >

> I appreciate your efforts. But as indicated elsewhere, right now I'm
> leaning towards reworking this into a client, because the road seems to
> be blocked on doing what I regard as necessary in the backend.

I don't agree about moving this to a client.  It is too important for
that.  Many admin apps and psql need this capability and having it in a
client just requires everyone to reinvent the wheel.

Let me think over you issues and see what I can come up with.

The patch isn't that big and already does 90% of what we need.  We just
need ot get that extra 10%.