Re: (Fwd) Problems with my code under linux ??

From: "Lothar Behrens" <lothar(dot)behrens(at)lollisoft(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Problems with my code under linux ??
Date: 2004-04-13 19:04:16
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> On Monday 12 April 2004 20:48, Lothar Behrens wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 07 April 2004 19:58, Lothar Behrens wrote:
>
> > > 2. You are updating something (you don't say what)
> >
> > I am updating a char column. It does not that, what is intended.
> >
> > > You are having a problem (you don't say what)
> >
> > It simply writes an empty char into the database - not my sample text.
>
> Very strange.
>
> > > 3. You are using SuSe
> > > You have the latest version of something (you don't say what) from
> > > their
> > > website
> >
> > I mean your source code. I have downloaded it from Gborg web site.
> > I can compile it and install, but it doesn't work properly.
>
> Do you mean the psql-odbc project:
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/psqlodbc/projdisplay.php
> I wasn't aware it was intended for anything other than Windows. What ODBC
> manager are you using under SuSe?

I assume unixODBC with odbc.ini and odbcinst.ini whereas iodbc uses
only odbc.ini, as read in your installation descriptions. Today I will
try to save my old configuration files and make a clean iodbc
installation - with your code and descriptions.

> > I have figured out, that if I set the windows ODBC configuration
> > to debug all things, then it works properly.
>
> Is the problem with a client on Windows/SuSe or both?

Under windows, it changes from buggy to work properly, if I activate
global debugging. Under linux I haven't found the correct switches.

> > After that, I tried to do the same under linux. No success.
> >
> > I think, I have a very stange problem in my memory handling or
> > something like alignment. The code itself works - as I have seen.
> >
> > Do you have an ODBC test application that runs under linux and
> > windows ?
>
> Your best bet is to turn on logging at the client (odbc) end, and
> statement logging at the PostgreSQL end. That usually helps me identify
> where my problem is.

Logging at the client (windows) solves the problem. :-(
I like to see, what pointer is used inside the SQLUpdate function.

I'll also try to activate server side logging.

Under linux I have found a memory overrun with using strcat on a char*
parameter. Electric Fence was the tool, that solved a crash occuring
on a very different location.

Are similar tools available for windows (free or GPL...) ?

Should I try it on the psqlODBC sourcecode too - and how ?

It may be really strange. My code is LGPL'ed, would it be the best,
you - as a psqlODBC developer (I hope) - try that code ?

This is not a must. I'll try first the above steps.

Thanks

Lothar

> --
> Richard Huxton
> Archonet Ltd

---- My home: www.lollisoft.de -----------------------------
Lothar Behrens | Independent: lothar(dot)behrens(at)gmx(dot)de
Rosmarinstr 3 | My public project:
40235 Düsseldorf | http://sourceforge.net/projects/lbdmf