Re: parameter to db function

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Sheeraz fazal <ng(at)iwerx(dot)vertextek(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parameter to db function
Date: 2004-04-13 19:06:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc
--- Sheeraz fazal <ng(at)iwerx(dot)vertextek(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff.
> Can you tell me if i have to pass parameters to a db
> function let's say it's
> name is
>
> get_square(integer)
>
> It returns square of a number. What will be the
> syntax of the ODBC call to
> invoke this function, and
> how you will specify the place holder for the
> returned value.

I don't do ODBC calls ;-)

Exactly how you handle this depends on your choice of
language and data access library.  In general: you
want to send a SQL string "SELECT
get_square(integer_value)", where "integer_value" is
determined at run time.  What you get back will be a
result set with one row and one column.  If you want
to refer to the column by name, you can specify a name
by adding the alias "AS my_column_name" to the SQL
string.

The rest you can get from the documentation for your
environment, particulary about how SQL queries and
result sets are handled.