pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/func.sgml rc/backend ...

From: momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org (Bruce Momjian)
To: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/func.sgml rc/backend ...
Date: 2004-04-10 18:03:00
Lists: pgsql-committers
CVSROOT:	/cvsroot
Module name:	pgsql-server
Changes by:	momjian(at)svr1(dot)postgresql(dot)org	04/04/10 15:02:59

Modified files:
	doc/src/sgml   : func.sgml
	src/backend/utils/adt: timestamp.c
	src/test/regress/expected: date.out
	src/test/regress/sql: date.sql

Log message:
	Please find a small patch to fix the brain damage "century" and
	"millennium" date part implementation in postgresql, both in the code
	and the documentation, so that it conforms to the official definition.
	If you do not agree with the official definition, please send your
	complaint to "pope(at)vatican(dot)org". I'm not responsible for them;-)

	With the previous version, the centuries and millenniums had a wrong
	number and started the wrong year. Moreover century number 0, which does
	not exist in reality, lasted 200 years. Also, millennium number 0 lasted
	2000 years.

	If you want postgresql to have it's own definition of "century" and
	"millennium" that does not conform to the one of the society, just give
	them another name. I would suggest "pgCENTURY" and "pgMILLENNIUM";-)

	IMO, if someone may use the options, it means that postgresql is used for
	historical data, so it make sense to have an historical definition. Also,
	I just want to divide the year by 100 or 1000, I can do that quite easily.

	BACKWARD INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE

	Fabien Coelho - coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr

pgsql-committers by date