Re: [HACKERS] logging statement levels

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Patches (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] logging statement levels
Date: 2004-04-06 20:01:52
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >Right now we have log_min_error_statement:
> >
> >	#log_min_error_statement = panic # Values in order of increasing severity:
> >	                                 #   debug5, debug4, debug3, debug2, debug1,
> >	                                 #   info, notice, warning, error, panic(off)
> >
> >which does allow control of printing only statements generating errors,
> >which includes syntax errors.  I don't see why this functionality should
> >be mixed in with log_statement.
> >
> >Did you want a 'syntax error' level to log_statement, that would print
> >only statements with syntax errors but not other errors?  That doesn't
> >seem very useful to me.
> >

> It wasn't my idea, but I thought it was a good one. But it would go
> along with the idea of these settings as a list instead of a hierarchy,
> e.g.:
>
> log_statement = "syntax-errors, ddl, mod"
>
> In fact, I liked it so much that I thought "syntax-errors" should be the
> default instead of "none".
>
> I think I'd prefer that to having it tied to the log_min_error_statement
> level. But I don't care that much.

OK, at least we understand each other.  Right now we don't have any
special "syntax error" log processing.  We have errors logged through
log_min_error_statement, and mod/ddl through the new log_statement.

I can see a use case for having mod/ddl control of logging, and error
control of logging, but why would you want to see syntax error queries
but not other error queries?  That's why I think log_min_error_statement
is sufficient.  If we add syntax logging, wouldn't that conflict with
log_min_error_statement logging, because those are errors too.  Maybe we
need to add a 'synax' mode to log_min_error_statement above error that
logs only syntax errors but not others.