Re: ECPG and COPY TO STDOUT

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Edmund Bacon <ebacon(at)onesystem(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ECPG and COPY TO STDOUT
Date: 2004-04-03 16:27:35
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 12:22:44PM -0700, Edmund Bacon wrote:
> If I use COPY TO STDOUT in an ECPG program, where does the output go?

Nowhere, it's discarded.

> What I'm trying to do is to dump a table's data, and have the resulting
> file owned by the application user rather than the dba user.

ecpg gets PGRES_COPY_OUT as a result from the execution and just calls
PQendcopy() without reading the data. The same happens btw with
PGRES_COPY_IN. It's working like this since the get-go in the sources I
inherited from Linux Tolke. I guess we could add this to the todo list
as a feature request.

Patches are welcome of course. :-)

Michael
--