Re: Blacklist all Windows demons ...

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Blacklist all Windows demons ...
Date: 2004-03-30 19:07:04
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Dave Page wrote:

> It's rumoured that Marc G. Fournier once said:
> >
> > Okay, we just weathered attack #2 ... the domain that is being attacked
> > has been shut down permanently, but ...
> >
> > ... does anyone know of a way, using javascript or something, detecting
> > whether a virus scanner is running on a machine connecting to a web
> > site? Javascript can do everything else, can it do this?
>
> Umm, no. That would come under the category of 'another windows security
> flaw'
> I think what is needed is the IP to location software used on the new
> version of the portal, tied into the guidance systems of a dozen or so
> ICBMs. The first couple of strikes ought to persuade the rest of the
> population to invest in a scanner and firewall - unless of course the
> guidance system is based on Windows CE in which case it could all go
> horribly wrong!
> Oh, and hello to all my friends in MI5/6 who are probably reading this via
> Echelon 'cos it mentioned ICBMs :-)

Well, we can always add in a hearty hello to the US CIA(?) by adding
mention that DDoS attacks are a form of terrorism that hurts the US ppl
more then anyone else, as it affects more sites in the US then the rest of
the world ... maybe we can get some of that anti-terrorism money invested
in electronic terrorism?

Wow, I got that in, what, 3 times?

BTW, the IP to location stuff doesn't help much, unfortunately :( I did
some reason on DDoS attacks this morning while it was down, hoping to
glean *something* positive that I could do to at least reduce the
incidence of it happening again in the future ... and guess, there ain't a
thing you can do *sigh* Apparently most of the attacks spoof the IP they
are coming from, so that you can't even easily trace the *zombie* computer
that is doing the attack, let alone the master that is controlling the
zombies *sigh*

I've said it once before ... we need a virus to go around that just
disables ppls ethernet ports ... that would at least wake ppl up who don't
have virus checkers in place to get them installed :(

----