Re: [ADMIN] Raw vs Filesystem

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: "Jaime Casanova" <el_vigia_ec(at)hotmail(dot)com>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Raw vs Filesystem
Date: 2004-03-30 08:22:42
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Monday 29 March 2004 22:56, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> ok. if i don't misunderstand you (english is not my mother tongue, so i can
> be wrong). your point is that speed is not necesarily performance, that's
> right.
>
> so, the real question is what is the best filesystem for optimal speed in
> postgresql?

That's going to depend on a number of things:

1. Size of database
2. Usage patterns (many updates or mostly reads? single user or many?...)
3. What hardware you've got
4. What OS you're running.
5. How you've configured your hardware, OS and PG.

There are some test results people have provided in the archives, but whether
they apply to your setup is open to argument.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd