Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier)
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com (Joshua D(dot) Drake),scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier),alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com (Alex), postgresql(at)finner(dot)de (Frank Finner),pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-30 00:16:03
Lists: pgsql-general
> Now, that doesn't preclude clients from seeing the names of another
> clients database using \l, but unless there is gross mis-management of the
> pg_hba.conf, seeing the names of other databases doesn't give other
> clients any benefits ...

That rather depends upon what those clients are doing, doesn't it?

I can see benefits from being able to completely isolate one client/database
from another,  even to the point of not giving them any hints that they're
sharing the same database server.  (Depending on how fanatical I am about
it, there are other solutions, such as separate instances or completely
separate physical systems, but those present a different set of
administrative issues.)

It may be more of a marketing issue than a technical one.  If we want
increased commercial acceptance, that may be one of the higher priority
features from an ISP's (or his clients') point of view, if not from ours.
Mike Nolan