Re: PG vs MySQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-30 00:44:43
Lists: pgsql-general
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Mike Nolan wrote:

> > Now, that doesn't preclude clients from seeing the names of another
> > clients database using \l, but unless there is gross mis-management of the
> > pg_hba.conf, seeing the names of other databases doesn't give other
> > clients any benefits ...
>
> That rather depends upon what those clients are doing, doesn't it?

I don't know, does it?  I can't think of any circumstance that this would
give a client any advantage ... can you?

> It may be more of a marketing issue than a technical one.  If we want
> increased commercial acceptance, that may be one of the higher priority
> features from an ISP's (or his clients') point of view, if not from
> ours.

Coming from the ISP side, I can't say that, in the 8 or so years I've been
providing PostgreSQL, I've ever had anyone voice a concern about being
able to see other clients databases ... most of my clients don't even see
the database, as they are using such thinks as OpenACS (they plug in the
connection details, and OpenACS loads the schema/data for them) or
phpPgAdmin (which has an option to hide databases not owned by them) ...

----