hacking data directories

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: elein(at)varlena(dot)com
Subject: hacking data directories
Date: 2004-03-29 23:55:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

RedHat with PG 7.3.2

I'm recovering a harddrive failure where all
of the database files were thrown into one
directory. I'm trying to sort out which ones
go with what. (Stop laughing.)

I've identified template1 and template0 files,
but I don't need to recover those...

The rest of the files seem to be database
data files and it is possible the the zero length
files were directories, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any tools or hints? I can
determine a lot by just looking at them, but
hints would help.
If necessary, I could write a little C program
to extract the headers if that is what is
necessary.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

elein