Re: PG vs MySQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 10:18:19
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Mike Nolan wrote:

> I'm not much of an expert in MySQL, but on my ISP 'show databases' only
> shows MY databases.

Right, show databases == \l, I believe ... but, how is security on the
table(s) that 'show databases' dealt with ... can you access those
directly, by passing the "security" on 'show databases'?

> I also wonder how well the pg_hba.conf method will scale.  What happens
> if there are hundreds of client databases or thousands of entries in
> pg_hba.conf?

I'd be more concerned with how any server would scale to having thousands
of databases running on it myself ... but, right now, my largest server is
running ~165 databases, servicing 4 physical servers, and the server
itself is still highly responsive.  Note that the server that that
database is running on runs two other instances of PostgreSQL (7.2 and
7.4), 2 of MySQL (4.0 and 4.1), one of Firebird and about 25 other
"virtual servers" ... loadavg is generally <2 ...

Only time I've ever really had a problem with it was when we ran
Mnogosearch for the archives ... major dog on resources, since it wasn't
really designed for anything by MySQL ...

Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (