Re: PG vs MySQL

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 10:18:19
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Mike Nolan wrote:

> I'm not much of an expert in MySQL, but on my ISP 'show databases' only
> shows MY databases.

Right, show databases == \l, I believe ... but, how is security on the
table(s) that 'show databases' dealt with ... can you access those
directly, by passing the "security" on 'show databases'?

> I also wonder how well the pg_hba.conf method will scale. What happens
> if there are hundreds of client databases or thousands of entries in
> pg_hba.conf?

I'd be more concerned with how any server would scale to having thousands
of databases running on it myself ... but, right now, my largest server is
running ~165 databases, servicing 4 physical servers, and the server
itself is still highly responsive. Note that the server that that
database is running on runs two other instances of PostgreSQL (7.2 and
7.4), 2 of MySQL (4.0 and 4.1), one of Firebird and about 25 other
"virtual servers" ... loadavg is generally <2 ...

Only time I've ever really had a problem with it was when we ran
Mnogosearch for the archives ... major dog on resources, since it wasn't
really designed for anything by MySQL ...

----