Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org (Marc G(dot) Fournier)
Cc: alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com (Alex), postgresql(at)finner(dot)de (Frank Finner), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 04:37:41
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Perhaps, but it isn't obvious which directory has which database. I'm not
> > not sure which system catalogs provide that information, something that
> > wasn't obvious from the online docs, either.
>
> SELECT oid FROM pg_database WHERE datname = '<database>';

Thanks. That should be easier to find in the documentation, perhaps it
should be mentioned in the docs for the pg_database system catalog.

From an ISP's or DBA's point of view, it would be preferable if there was
a way to determine which directory held which database without having
to actually log into the database. I can envision circumstances under
which postmaster might not be running when that information is needed.
--
Mike Nolan