Re: PG vs MySQL

From: "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>
To: Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 04:32:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sunday 28 March 2004 06:06 pm, Alex wrote:
> Frank,
> pls. apologize. Maybe my description was not so clear. What I was
> referring to was the fact that under MySQL you have more freedom to give
> individual users of a shared server rights to create and manage their
> databases In addition all databases are kept in separate directories
> unlike postgres.
>
> As a server administrator, this make life simpler and you dont need to
> worry about other users messing around outside their designated
> environment.

Given, MySQL is "easier" to administrate - at least on the first glance. But
so is MS Access :-)
Personally I found the whole access rights table in MySQL a pain in the butt,
but maybe that's just me.
The point is, that MySQL is easier to set up in a shared webhosting
environment, however looking at quite some of the "professional" hosters, one
has full access to everyone's database, so it obviously isn't that easy after
all...

> I guess one reason users compare MySQL with Postgres is that they see
> the benefits of postgres and intend to switch or at least look into it,
> but at the same time they dont want to compromise when it comes to ease
> of use and administration.

Severly at the cost of data integrity.

> MySQL is still the default database offered by any web hosting company
> and if Postgres wants to become the designated db engine for these
> services or become the worlds no.1 open source db then i think lots of
> things need to be done. Take for example the admin interface (MySQL
> Administrator) for MySQL which is done very professionally or the ease
> of setting up Replication. Postgres still is quite far behind there and
> for normal users that know MySQL best the transition is probably a too
> big step and risk.

That MySQL is the "default" database for webhosters is most likely the same
reason why Access is the "default" database on Windows boxes: You only need
minimal knowledge to get it running - no matter how flawed the result.

> But then again, it might not be the aim of postgres to become that no1
> open source db and part of every web hosting environment. Instead rather
> to be an alternative for the serious databases for corporate use.

I sincerely hope not. PostgreSQL is THE free database that can reach the
production quality of the major databases (Oracle, DB2). The only remaining
feature it lacks out of the box is replication and some HA abilities the big
ones have. And for that it's really free as in beer and speech. Not a fake
type of hybrid license like MySQL.

> Might actually quite interesting to start a discussion on this topic
> here :-)

PLEASE: Could anyone set up a "MySQL versus PostgreSQL" mailing list that's
directly routed to /dev/null ? It's really boring to hear the same arguments
over and over again. If you love the "features" of MySQL - feel free to use
it.

> [...]
> Alex
>
> Frank Finner wrote:
> >On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 14:24:15 +0900 Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com> sat down,
> > thought long and then
> >
> >wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>what is the recommended way to run multiple databases under postgres.
> >>
> >>In MySQL it is rather simple to give different users or websites their
> >>own database with all the access rights.
> >>
> >>Any suggestion or links to documents are highly appreciated.
> >>
> >>Alex
> >
> >If you call "createdb -?" within a shell you will get the following:
> >
> >---
> >createdb creates a PostgreSQL database.
> >
> >Usage:
> > createdb [OPTION]... [DBNAME] [DESCRIPTION]

> > -D, --location=PATH alternative place to store the database
> > -E, --encoding=ENCODING encoding for the database
> > -O, --owner=OWNER database user to own the new database
> > -T, --template=TEMPLATE template database to copy
> > -e, --echo show the commands being sent to the server
> > -q, --quiet don't write any messages
> > --help show this help, then exit
> > --version output version information, then exit
> >
> >Connection options:
> > -h, --host=HOSTNAME database server host or socket directory
> > -p, --port=PORT database server port
> > -U, --username=USERNAME user name to connect as
> > -W, --password prompt for password
> >
> >By default, a database with the same name as the current user is created.
> >
> >Report bugs to <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>.
> >---
> >
> >So, to create a database from shell, you have to call
> >"createdb -O <valid database user> <databasename>". You should do this as
> > valid database superuser who may add databases!
> >
> >Another way is to connect to template1 as the future owner:
> >"psql template1 <valid database user>"
> >and create the database with "CREATE DATABASE <databasename>...". Every
> > valid user may connect to template1. You don´t need to use psql, this
> > works for example also with PgAdmin, it´s even simpler because you don´t
> > need to remember the syntax, just click around.
> >
> >Of course, the <valid database user> must be enabled to create databases,
> > therefore it must have been created either by calling "createuser -d
> > <valid database user> ..." or with an appropriate SQL command "CREATE
> > USER <valid database user> ... CREATEDB" by a database superuser, or
> > again with a tool like PgAdmin.
> >
> >BTW: Why do so many people comparisons with MySQL syntax during the last
> > days? "MySQL can do this, in MySQL I can do this that way" and so on.
> > Next time I´ d like to read something like "In DB2 I can simply add a
> > database by whatever." or "With MS-SQL-Server you just have to do the
> > following 32 steps to create a backup.". :-)
> >
> >Who cares about how something works in MySQL? They are NOT the providers
> > of a standard everybody has to use!
> >
> >Regards, Frank.

> >TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?

- --
UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC 2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone: +1 650 872 2425 San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell: +1 650 302 2405 United States
Fax: +1 650 872 2417