Re: [GENERAL] Problems getting started: createdb fails

From: Bill Chandler <billybobc1210(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Problems getting started: createdb fails
Date: 2004-03-27 04:27:44
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
--- Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> That is a strange message to get.  Would you try a
> username with no
> spaces?  It sounds like a protocol problem, not a
> configuration problem.

Ok, I tried it. It got wierder, though.

Created "Guest" account.  Started server in Cygwin
session using "My User Name" account.  Switched over
to Guest account (still logged in under my user name
and server still running -- verified this).  Ran
command:

  psql -U Guest template1

Got message:

  psql: FATAL: user "Guest" does not exist

Ran command:

  psql -U "My User Name" template1

I got the psql # prompt but when I type \h for help
it hangs.  Anything I did hung.  Contol-C'd out.

Ran command:

  createdb -U "Guest" mydb

Same "user Guest does not exist" message.

Ran command:

  createdb -U "My User Name" mydb

Hangs.

Very strange.  I'm going to try uninstalling and
reinstalling everything.  Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Bill